My brother in law loves ketchup. Personally, I think its a full blown addiction. One night we were dining together and I made one of my favorite dishes, courtesy of the lovely Giada De Laurentiis. He went into the fridge and pulled out the ketchup and went to use it and I yelled “STOP!” “What?” He paused. “It’s a burger. I need to put ketchup on it!” I said, “Please, just try it without it first and if you still think it needs ketchup than I won’t say another word.” He didn’t use the ketchup.
Chicken Burgers with Garlic-Rosemary Mayonnaise
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary leaves
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 pound ground chicken
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 4 potato rolls
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 cup baby arugula, divided
1) For the mayonnaise: In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, garlic, and rosemary; set aside.
2) For the burgers:Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. In a large bowl, add the ground chicken, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 of the mayonnaise mixture. Using clean hands, gently combine the ingredients and form the chicken mixture into 4 patties.
Form the meat into a ball and then place onto individual pieces of wax paper or something of the like (Glad Press & Seal works the best!) and then use a flat surfaced item such as the back of small pan or a old fashioned iron sandwich press and press down to form a perfect patty. Now cover with another piece of the wax paper. Repeat. Refrigerate patties for at least a half hour. I find this step to be vital in the ease of cooking the patties due to their consistency which is wet mixture. The refrigeration helps them firm up and when it is time to cook you simply peel one side, place meat into the pan and peel off the back paper.
3) Cook for about 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to paper towels and let rest for a few minutes.
Optional: Brush the cut side of each roll with the olive oil and Grill for 1 to 2 minutes until slightly golden.
4) To assemble the burgers, spread a dollop of the remaining mayonnaise mixture on the tops and bottoms of the toasted buns. Place the chicken burgers on the bottom halves of the buns. Top each with 1/4 cup of arugula and finish with the top half of the bun.
5) Serve with sweet potato fries and enjoy!
If you want to see Giada’s recipe on Food Network click here!